Skip to content
- Aihole is situated in the Bijapur district of Karnataka.
- It was the capital of Western Chalukyas.
- It is an important center of the Deccan style of architecture.
- The Aihole temples of the Chalukyan period contain the earliest structural temples known in India.
- Jain rock architecture belonging to the 7th century A.D. is also found at Aihole.
- The famous temples of Aihole include the Kontiguda group of temples, Ladkhan, Meguti and the Durga Temples.
- The famous Aihole Prasasti dated 634-35 A.D. composed by Ravikirti, the court poet of Pulakesin II, gives a detailed account of Pulakesin Il’s exploits against his neighboring kingdoms.